- greek / celtic
- NAME ROOT:
- BRETAGNE (BRITON) > PRETTANIKḗ / PRETANNIKAí > BRĭTANNĭA
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- PRETTANIKḗ (Πρεττανική) PRETANNIKAí (Πρεταννικαὶ)
- This name means “land of the Britons”. Britannia derives from the Greek Πρεταννικαὶ Νῆσοι (Pretannikai Nesoi) used by Pytheas of Marseilles, a Greek geographer and explorer, who had circumnavigated Britain between 330 and 320 BC and described various islands in the North Atlantic to the extreme Thule (probably Iceland or the Shetland Islands). Pytheas described Thule as the northernmost part of Prettanikḗ (Πρεττανική) or Pretannikaí (Πρεταννικαὶ), his term for the entire group of islands in the far north-west. There is a possibility that the term may derive from the Celtic “*Pritani “, meaning “Picts”. In AD 43 the Roman Empire began its conquest of the island, establishing a province they called Britannia, which came to encompass the parts of the island south of Caledonia (Scotland). The native Celtic inhabitants of the province are known as the Britons. In the 2nd century, Roman Britannia came to be personified as a goddess, armed with a trident and shield and wearing a centurion's helmet.
- LATIN (ROMAN MYTHOLOGY)
- brittany, bret, britney, brittani, brittney, brittny, brittania, britannia, britany, brittanie, brittaney, britny, brittnay, bryttney, britton, britanni
- PET & SHORT FORM
Use in other languages
- Vetrannion, Bretannion
- Bretannione, Bretannio, Vetrannio, Bretanniona, Bretannia
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#672UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
If a person's name-number is 2, he is considered to be co-operative and highly adaptable to any circumstance in life. 2 is associated with teamwork, mediating and working for the goodness of others. People with the name-number 2 tend to be good friends and are kind, helpful individuals.
- Chakra Number:
- 2: The number of the Sacral Chakra "Swadhisthana"
Orange is the color of your second chakra, which is located bellow the navel. The main energy of this color is creativity and feelings. Explore the color of your sacral chakra in depth and discover the gifts and challenges of orange color.
- Color meaning:
The color orange radiates warmth and happiness, combining the physical energy and stimulation of red with the cheerfulness of yellow. Orange relates to 'gut reaction' or our gut instincts, as opposed to the physical reaction of red or the mental reaction of yellow. Orange offers emotional strength in difficult times. It helps us to bounce back from disappointments and despair, assisting in recovery from grief.
Notable people and personalities
Brett Anderson (born 1967), English Singer-songwriter
Brett Butler (baseball) (born 1957), American Baseball Player
Brett Butler (comedian) (born 1958), American Comedian And Actress
Brett Favre (born 1969), American Football Player
Brett Gardner (born 1983), American Baseball Player
Brett Hull (born 1964), Canadian–american Hockey Player
Brett Lee (born 1976), Australian Cricketer
Brett Salisbury (born 1968), American Football Player
Brett Somers (1924–2007), Canadian-born American Comedian And Actress
Brett Sterling (born 1984), American Nhl Ice Hockey Player