- latin / old french / persian (fārsi)
- NAME ROOT:
- (CĀRUS > CARA > CHÉRIE) (SHIRIN > SHERISH)
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- SHIRIN (شیرین)
- This name means “darling, beloved, Dear, loved one, sweet, pleasant, gracious, delicate”. Sherry (Spanish: Jerez) is a fortified wine made from white grapes that are grown near the town of Jerez de la Frontera in Andalusia, Spain. The current Castilian name came by way of the Arabic name “Sherish”, as the town was knows during the Muslim occupation of Iberia and during the Moorish period. Under Moorish rule, the Roman town of 'Ceret' was renamed to Sherish which later evolved to Jerez de la Frontera as it became the frontier. The term "Sherish" derives from the Persian "Shirin" which means sweet, pleasant, gracious, gentle. Names with the letter "C" as "Cheryl, Cherie, Cheray, Cheri, Cherrie have a Latin root as opposed to names beginning with an “S” which have a Persian root, names such as "Sharyl, Sheryll, Sherae, Sherey". From the 19th century both groups of names have mixed and the different variants are no longer attributable to a specific source. Both the roots are needed for a detailed description. Shirin is the name of a character in a Persian and Turkish legend. Shirin was also a wife of the Sassanid Persian Shahanshah (king of kings), Khosrau II.
- sherry, cheryl, cherie, cherryl, sharyl, sherill, sheryl, sheryll, cherilyn, sharalyn, sherilyn, cheray, sharee, sharie, sharrie, sherae, sheraie, sheray, sheraya, sherey, sheri, sherice, shericia, sherie, sherissa, sherree, sherrey, sherri, sherryn, sherye, charice, sherin, cheri, shereen, shireen, shirin, sherrie, cherrie, sherrilyn, SHERLYN, Shera
- PET & SHORT FORM
- cherette, cher, sherina, sherita
Use in other languages
- sherin, shereen, shireen, shirin
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#9000UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
Number 6 is associated with nurturing, sympathy, balance, civic sense and responsibility. People with name-number 6 place high priority on family. They are also willing to shoulder responsibilities and execute them in the best manner possible.
- Chakra Number:
- 6: The number of the Third Eye "Ajna"
Indigo is the color of the sixth energy centre - your third eye chakra. It is the color that opens the consciousness and brings awareness to higher planes and connects us with the spiritual world. Discover the hidden meanings within this deep blue color.
- Color meaning:
The color indigo is the color of intuition and perception and is helpful in opening the third eye. It promotes deep concentration during times of introspection and meditation, helping you achieve deeper levels of consciousness. It is a color which relates to the "New Age" - the ability to use the Higher Mind to see beyond the normal senses with great powers of perception. It relies on intuition rather than gut feeling.
Notable people and personalities
Sheree Fitch (born 1956), Canadian Children's Author
Sheree Gray (born 1985), American Soccer Defender
Sheree J. Wilson (born 1958), American Actress
Sheree Jeacocke (born 1958), Canadian Singer/songwriter
Sheree Murphy (born 1975), English Actress And Television Presenter
Sheree North (1932–2005), American Actress, Singer, And Dancer
Sheree Thomas, Writer, Book Editor And Publisher
Sheree Wingard (born 1988), Australian Netball Player
Sheree Winton (1935–1976), English Actress
Sheree-lee Olson, Canadian Novelist, Poet And Journalist