- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- indo-european > hellenic > greek
- NAME ROOT:
- SōTḗR > SALVARE > SALVāTŏR
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- SōTḗR (σωτήρ)
- This was first an epithet of Jupiter and then of Christ. This name derives from the Latin “salvātŏr”, which is based on the Latin verb “salvare”, literally means “the savior, the one who saves”. Of clear religious meaning, the name comes from the translation of the Ancient Greek “sōtḗr (σωτήρ), literally savior, deliverer, preserver. In Greek mythology, Soteria (Ancient Greek: Σωτηρία) was the goddess or spirit (daimon) of safety, deliverance, and preservation from harm. Her male counterparts were the daimon Soter and the god Dionysos Soter. The Romans named her Salus (Preservation). Soter was also the husband of Peitharchia and father of Eupraxia.
- GREEK MYTHOLOGY
- salvadore, salvadori
- xalbador, xalvador, salbatore, salvadore, salvadori
- salbatora, salvadora, salvatora
- PET & SHORT FORM
- Salva, Chavito, Chavita, Salvita, Salvi, Chavi, Salvidor
Use in other languages
- archaic polish
- salvatore, salavadore, Solutore
- salvator, Solutor
- old french
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#584UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
If a person's name-number is 2, he is considered to be co-operative and highly adaptable to any circumstance in life. 2 is associated with teamwork, mediating and working for the goodness of others. People with the name-number 2 tend to be good friends and are kind, helpful individuals.
- Chakra Number:
- 2: The number of the Sacral Chakra "Swadhisthana"
Orange is the color of your second chakra, which is located bellow the navel. The main energy of this color is creativity and feelings. Explore the color of your sacral chakra in depth and discover the gifts and challenges of orange color.
- Color meaning:
The color orange radiates warmth and happiness, combining the physical energy and stimulation of red with the cheerfulness of yellow. Orange relates to 'gut reaction' or our gut instincts, as opposed to the physical reaction of red or the mental reaction of yellow. Orange offers emotional strength in difficult times. It helps us to bounce back from disappointments and despair, assisting in recovery from grief.
Notable people and personalities
Salvador Allende (1908−1973), deposed president of Chile
Salvador Bacarisse (1898−1963), Spanish composer
Salvador Dalí (1904−1989), Spanish surrealist painter
Salvador de Madariaga (1886−1978), Spanish writer
Salvador Espriu (1913−1985), Spanish poet
Salvador Gómez (born 1968), Spanish water polo player
Salvador Gonzáles Escalona (born 1948), Cuban artist
Salvador González Marco (born 1963), Spanish footballer
Salvador Laurel (1928−2004), Philippine politician
Salvador Luria (1912−1991), Italian-American scientist
Salvador Novo (1904−1974), Mexican writer
Salvador Pineda (born 1952), Mexican actor
Salvador Sánchez (1959−1982), Mexican boxer