- OTHER SCRIPTS:
- Russian / Ukrainian (Лариса)
- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- indo-european > hellenic > greek
- NAME ROOT:
- LáRISA / Lā́RISSA
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- LáRISA (Λάρισα) Lā́RISSA (Λᾱ́ρισσα)
- This name derives from the Ancient Greek “Lárisa (Λάρισα) Lā́rissa (Λᾱ́ρισσα)”, meaning “citadel”. In Greek mythology, Larissa was a local nymph from Thessaly. She was described by Pausanias as a daughter of Pelasgus. However, Hellanicus states that the sons of Poseidon and Larissa were Achaios, Phthios, and Pelasgus. Larissa also is the capital and biggest city of the Thessaly region of Greece and capital of the Larissa regional unit. Saint Larisa (Beride) was one of twenty-six martyrs who were killed by the Goths around the year 375 under Jungerich, a persecutor of Christians. Ancient synaxaria of the Gothic Church recount the martyrdom of twenty-six Christians in the time of the emperors Valentinian, Valens, and Gratian. This name in some cases is associated with Ilaria.
- larissa, Larisse, Larissia
- PET & SHORT FORM
- Lorka, Larochka, Lyolya
Use in other languages
- ancient greek
- portuguese - brazilian
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#4277UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
Number 6 is associated with nurturing, sympathy, balance, civic sense and responsibility. People with name-number 6 place high priority on family. They are also willing to shoulder responsibilities and execute them in the best manner possible.
- Chakra Number:
- 6: The number of the Third Eye "Ajna"
Indigo is the color of the sixth energy centre - your third eye chakra. It is the color that opens the consciousness and brings awareness to higher planes and connects us with the spiritual world. Discover the hidden meanings within this deep blue color.
- Color meaning:
The color indigo is the color of intuition and perception and is helpful in opening the third eye. It promotes deep concentration during times of introspection and meditation, helping you achieve deeper levels of consciousness. It is a color which relates to the "New Age" - the ability to use the Higher Mind to see beyond the normal senses with great powers of perception. It relies on intuition rather than gut feeling.
Notable people and personalities
Larisa Cagaraeva, Soviet Fencer
Larisa Efimovna Šepit'ko, Soviet Director
Larisa Il'čenko, Russian Swimmer
Larisa Il'inična Vol'pert, Russian Chess Player
Larisa Iordache, Romanian Gymnast
Larisa Korobejnikova, Russian Fencer
Larisa Korotkevič, Russian Athlete
Larisa Latynina, Soviet Gymnast
Larisa Lazutina, Russian Cross-country Skier
Larisa Michalčenko, Ukrainian Athlete
Larisa Neiland, Latvian Tennis Player
Larisa Oleynik, American Actress
Larisa Pelešenko, Russian Athlete
Larisa Popa, Romanian Model
Larisa Spasova, Bulgarian Basketball Player
Larisa Yurkiw, Canadian Alpine Skier