- OTHER SCRIPTS:
- Arabic (ليلى)
- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- afro-asiatic > semitic > central semitic
- arabic / hebrew
- NAME ROOT:
- L-Y-L > LAYLA
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- L-Y-L (ليل) LAYLA (ليلى) LAILA (לילה)
- This name derives from the Arabic tri-consonantal root: “l-y-l (lamedh-yodh-lamedh)”. The name Layla meaning “night, born at night, dark-haired beauty, dark beauty”, and is linked to the Hebrew name transliterated “laylah”. This is an internationally-used Arabic feminine given name originating in the Semitic languages. The name has long been used in Arab and Persian folklore, poetry, and literature. For example, the 7th-century Arab poet Qays addressed romantic poems to a woman called Layla. The story of “Qays and Layla” or Layla and Majnun became a popular romance in the medieval Arab World and Persia, and use of the name spread accordingly; it gained popularity further afield in the Muslim World, among the Turkic peoples and in the Balkans and India.
- leyla, leila, layla
- leyla, leila, layla, lela, leilah, lila, lyla
Use in other languages
- leila, lyla, Leïla
- leila, lejla
- hungarian - magyar
- leyla, leila
- leila, layla, lyla
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#144UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
A person with name-number 8 is ambitious, confident, practical and has a great ability to execute plans. They are achievers and seek to reach the top of their field through hard work.
- Chakra Number:
- 8: The number of the Chakra "Etheric Body"
At the base of the skull or Cerebellum and is also found to be linked to the causal chakra just above the crown chakra to the left in the etheric body. This center enables the individual to achieve advanced out-of-body projection, etheric projection, spiritual perception, and spiritual wisdom. I use the word spiritual here because these abilities and ideas are larger than the self and the earth and is were the ability of remote viewing resides.
- Color meaning:
Black is the color of the hidden, the secretive and the unknown, creating an air of mystery. It keeps things bottled up inside, hidden from the world. In color psychology the meaning of the color black is protection from external emotional stress. It creates a barrier between itself and the outside world, providing comfort while protecting its emotions and feelings, and hiding its vulnerabilities, insecurities and lack of self-confidence. In times of fear and uncertainty black contains the energy of the threatening unknown. In a positive state, black is seen as a restful emptiness into which anything may emerge and disappear once again. It is also mysterious, providing a sense of potential and possibility.
Notable people and personalities
Aila Lalami (born 1968) Moroccan American Novelist And Essayist
Laila Ali (born 1977), Retired Boxer And Daughter Of Muhammad Ali
Laila Ali Abdulla, First Lady Of The Maldives
Laila Bagge (born 1972), Swedish Manager And Songwriter
Laila Freivalds (born 1942), Swedish Social-democrat Politician
Laila Harré (born 1966), New Zealand Politician And Trade Unionist
Laila Hirvisaari (born 1938), Finnish Author And Writer
Laila Mehdin (born 1980) Indian Actress
Laila Rouass (born 1971), British Actress
Laila Stien (born 1946) Norwegian Novelist, Poet And Author