- germanic / old english (anglo-saxon)
- NAME ROOT:
- *ERōNAN / *ARōNAN > EORL
- This name derives from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) element “*arōnan”, which in turn derives from the Proto-Norse and Proto-Germanic “*erōnan”. An earl is a member of the nobility. The title is Anglo-Saxon, akin to the Scandinavian form jarl, and meant "chieftain", particularly a chieftain set to rule a territory in a king's stead. In Scandinavia, it became obsolete in the Middle Ages and was replaced with duke (Hertig / Hertug). According to Procopius, the Heruli, after having raided the European continent for several generations, returned to Scandinavia in 512 AD as a result of military defeats. As their old territory was now occupied by the Danes, they settled next to the Geats in present-day Sweden. While the Proto-Norse word for this mysterious tribe may have been “erilaz”, which is etymologically near "jarl" and "earl", and it has often been suggested they introduced the runes in Scandinavia, no elaborate theory exists to explain how the word came to be used as a title.
- earle, erle, erroll, earl
- earlene, earline, earleen, Irlene
- PET & SHORT FORM
Use in other languages
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#4845UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
If the chosen name for your baby has a number value of 5, it suggests brilliance, enthusiasm, energy and versatility. These individuals are believed to be adventurous and love their freedom. They like challenges and get bored with routine. They often need several activities to keep their active mind occupied.
- Chakra Number:
- 5: The number of the Throat Chakra "Vishuddha"
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra and its color is blue. It is one the three primary colors. The main energy of blue is communication and it is the color used to soothe the soul. Explore this Divine color in depth, learn what it means and what it represents.
- Color meaning:
The color blue is one of trust, honesty and loyalty. It is sincere, reserved and quiet, and doesn't like to make a fuss or draw attention. Blue hates confrontation, and likes to do things in its own way. From a color psychology perspective, blue is reliable and responsible. This color exhibits an inner security and confidence. You can rely on it to take control and do the right thing in difficult times. It has a need for order and direction in its life, including its living and work spaces.
Notable people and personalities
Errol Barnett (born 1983), Anchor And Correspondent For Cnn International
Errol Brown (born 1948), Jamaican Singer And Songwriter
Errol Étienne (born 1941), Scottish Artist
Errol Flynn (1909–1959), Actor
Errol Mann (born 1941), Former American Football Player
Errol Morris (born 1948), Academy Award-winning Documentary Film Director
Errol Zimmerman (born 1986), Surinamese-curaçaoan Kickboxer