- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- indo-european > hellenic > greek
- NAME ROOT:
- DAMáZō > DAMIANòS
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- DAMáZō (δαμάζω) DAMIANòS (Δαμιανός)
- This name derives from the Ancient Greek name “Damianòs (Δαμιανός)”, which in turn derives from “damázō (δαμάζω)” meaning “tame, subdue, control, subdue, conquer, rule over”. The name is connected with the cult of the goddess Damia, a Greek goddess of fertility which later became Ceres for the Roman Mythology. 1) Saints Cosmas and Damian were twin brothers, physicians, and early Christian martyrs born in Cilicia, part of today's Turkey. They practiced their profession in the seaport of Ayas, Adana, then in the Roman province of Syria. The feast day is usually celebrated on September 26. 2) Saint Damien de Veuster (1840–1889) was a Roman Catholic priest from Belgium and member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, a missionary religious institute. The feast day is usually celebrated on April 15.
- damien, damjan, DEMIAN
- damianus, Damiaan
- damien, dameon, damion, DAMAIN, Damaine
- damien, DEMIAN
- damien, damjan
- damien, damjan, damianus, DEMIAN
- PET & SHORT FORM
Use in other languages
- Ancient Greek - Latinized
- ancient greek
- dem'yan, Damyan
- damjan, Damíanus
- damiano, addamiano
- damjan, damijan
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#98UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
Number 6 is associated with nurturing, sympathy, balance, civic sense and responsibility. People with name-number 6 place high priority on family. They are also willing to shoulder responsibilities and execute them in the best manner possible.
- Chakra Number:
- 6: The number of the Third Eye "Ajna"
Indigo is the color of the sixth energy centre - your third eye chakra. It is the color that opens the consciousness and brings awareness to higher planes and connects us with the spiritual world. Discover the hidden meanings within this deep blue color.
- Color meaning:
The color indigo is the color of intuition and perception and is helpful in opening the third eye. It promotes deep concentration during times of introspection and meditation, helping you achieve deeper levels of consciousness. It is a color which relates to the "New Age" - the ability to use the Higher Mind to see beyond the normal senses with great powers of perception. It relies on intuition rather than gut feeling.
Notable people and personalities
Damian Conway (born 1964), Australian Member Of The Perl Community
Damian Davey (born 1964), English Pop Musician And Actor
Damian Higgins (born 1972), American Dj, Producer, Remixer
Damian Howard Green (born 1956), British Politician
Damian Lewis (born 1971), English Actor And Producer
Damian Marley (born 1978), Jamaican Reggae Artist
Damian Matthew (born 1970), English Football Coach And Former Player
Damian O'hare (born 1977), Irish Film Actor