- latin / old french / persian (fārsi)
- NAME ROOT:
- (CĀRUS > CARA > CHÉRIE) (SHIRIN > SHERISH)
- NATIVE NAME ROOT:
- SHIRIN (شیرین)
- This name means “darling, beloved, Dear, loved one, sweet, pleasant, gracious, delicate”. Sherry (Spanish: Jerez) is a fortified wine made from white grapes that are grown near the town of Jerez de la Frontera in Andalusia, Spain. The current Castilian name came by way of the Arabic name “Sherish”, as the town was knows during the Muslim occupation of Iberia and during the Moorish period. Under Moorish rule, the Roman town of 'Ceret' was renamed to Sherish which later evolved to Jerez de la Frontera as it became the frontier. The term "Sherish" derives from the Persian "Shirin" which means sweet, pleasant, gracious, gentle. Names with the letter "C" as "Cheryl, Cherie, Cheray, Cheri, Cherrie have a Latin root as opposed to names beginning with an “S” which have a Persian root, names such as "Sharyl, Sheryll, Sherae, Sherey". From the 19th century both groups of names have mixed and the different variants are no longer attributable to a specific source. Both the roots are needed for a detailed description. Shirin is the name of a character in a Persian and Turkish legend. Shirin was also a wife of the Sassanid Persian Shahanshah (king of kings), Khosrau II.
- sherry, cheryl, cherie, cherryl, sharyl, sherill, sheryl, sheryll, cherilyn, sharalyn, sherilyn, cheray, sharee, sharie, sharrie, sherae, sheraie, sheray, sheraya, sherey, sheri, sherice, shericia, sherie, sherissa, sherree, sherrey, sherri, sherryn, sherye, charice, sherin, shereen, shireen, shirin, sheree, sherrie, cherrie, sherrilyn, SHERLYN, Shera
- PET & SHORT FORM
- cherette, cher, sherina, sherita
Use in other languages
- sherin, shereen, shireen, shirin
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#10482UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
Number 7 individuals are analytical and inquisitive. They have a thirst for knowledge and often make great academics, researchers or scientists. They have a strong sense of independence and tend to do things their own way. Number 7 individuals are believed to be self-reliant and may come across as reserved.
- Chakra Number:
- 7: The number of the Crown Chakra "Sahasrara"
Violet is the color of the crown chakra and it is the color of cosmic awareness and cosmic consciousness. It is a unifying color, the color of oneness and spirituality. The energy of this color is very healing and can soothe away pain. Learn more about this powerful spiritual color.
- Color meaning:
The color violet relates to the imagination and spirituality. It stimulates the imagination and inspires high ideals. It is an introspective color, allowing us to get in touch with our deeper thoughts. The difference between violet and purple is that violet appears in the visible light spectrum, or rainbow, whereas purple is simply a mix of red and blue. Violet has the highest vibration in the visible spectrum.
Notable people and personalities
Cheri Blauwet, Wheelchair Racer
Cheri Dennis (born 1982), American Singer
Cheri Dinovo (born 1950), Canadian United Church Minister And Politician
Cheri Elliott (born 1970), American Bicycle Motocross Racer
Cheri Gaulke (born 1954), Contemporary Artist
Cheri Huber, American Zen Teacher
Cheri Jo Bates (1948-1966), American Murder Victim
Cheri Keaggy, Gospel Singer And Songwriter
Cheri Oteri (born 1965), American Actress And Comedian
Cheri Register (born 1945), American Author And Teacher
Cheri Yecke, American Politician