- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- indo-european > celtic > insular celtic > brythonic > welsh
- celtic / brythonic / welsh
- NAME ROOT:
- *BROG- IUD(D) / *MāRO- IUD(D) > MORGETUID / MARGETIUD
- This name derives from Old Welsh name and patronymic surname (~ 800–1150) “Morgetuid / Margetiud”, composed of two elements: “mere” (great, splendid) plus “iudd” (lord). As a personal name the origins are lost in the mists of time but it is certainly pre Roman, however the modern use of the name is commonly taken from Merdydd ap Bleddyn, prince of Powys who died in 1132.
- merideth, meridith, maredith, maradyth, merddith, merydethe, mredith, maready, redith, rhiryd, reddith, reddit, redyth, rerdith, riddith, ryddyh, ryddyth, rydeath, rydeth, rydyth
- maredudd, meredydd, maredud, mredydd
Use in other languages
- gaelic - latinized
- mereducus, mereducius
- mereducco, mereduci, mereduco
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#10631UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
The number 1 is associated with leadership and independence. People with this name-number demonstrate great inner strength and have much potential for financial success and other accomplishments in life. These individuals are believed to make good use of their inborn talents and leadership abilities to influence and lead people.
- Chakra Number:
- 1: The number of the Root Chakra "Muladhara"
The first of the seven energy centers, Muladhara is also the most dense of them all. The main color of this chakra is red which is also the most dense color of all. Learn about the meaning of red chakra color and discover the less known second color found at the centre of muladhara.
- Color meaning:
The color red is a warm and positive color associated with our most physical needs and our will to survive. It exudes a strong and powerful masculine energy. Red is energizing. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action. It signifies a pioneering spirit and leadership qualities, promoting ambition and determination. It is also strong-willed and can give confidence to those who are shy or lacking in will power.
Notable people and personalities
Meredith Baxter (born 1947), American Actress
Meredith Belbin (born 1926), British Management Theorist
Meredith Brooks (born 1958), American Musician
Meredith Frampton, (1894–1984), British Painter
Meredith Hall (born 1949), American Writer
Meredith Hunter (born 1962), Australian Politician
Meredith Kercher (1985–2007), British University Exchange Student Murdered Italy
Meredith Monk (born 1942), American Composer And Vocal Performer
Meredith Poindexter Gentry (1809–1866), U.s. Politician
Meredith Salenger (born 1970), American Actress
Meredith Stiehm (born 1969), American Television Producer And Screenwriter
Meredith Vieira (born 1953), American Journalist And Television Host
Meredith Willson (1902–1984), American Composer, Songwriter, Conductor, And Playwright