- OTHER SCRIPTS:
- russian (Флора)
- LANGUAGE FAMILY:
- indo-european > italic > latin
- NAME ROOT:
- FLōS > FLōRA
- This name comes from the Latin root "Flōs", meaning “flower, blossom, (figuratively) innocence, virginity”. This name is linked to "Flōrĕo / Flōrens" (bloom, be in flower (figuratively) flourish, shine, prosper, be overjoyed). The term “flora”, was used since the 13th century, in the sense of "virginity”. Flōra in Roman mythology was the goddess of flowers, gardens and spring and the guardian of the flora, an equivalent of the Greek Chlori. While she was otherwise a relatively minor figure in Roman mythology, being one among several fertility goddesses, her association with the spring gave her particular importance at the coming of springtime. Her festival, the Floralia, was held between April 28 and May 3 and symbolized the renewal of the cycle of life, drinking, and flowers.
- LATIN (ROMAN MYTHOLOGY) / FLOWERS
- fleur, flower, florice, flowery
- floora, fluura, luura
- fiora, fleur, floria
- fiora, fiore, floria, floreana, florida, floride, floridia, floridea, florise, florita, fioretta
- florio, flores, florino, floreano, florido, florideo, floriso
- PET & SHORT FORM
- florrie, floretta, fleurette, florella, florry, floss, flossey, flossie, flossy, flozo
- floretta, fleurette, fiorina
- fiorella, fio, fiorina
Use in other languages
- fleur, floralie, flore, florie
- hungarian - magyar
- Flòraidh, Flòrag
Geographical spread (only living languages)
Popularity & Ranking
#1724UNITED STATES RANKING
The U.S.A. popularity ranking comes from US Government Social Security Administration.
SHOWCASE - CHECKOUT YOUR NAME
New Age curiosities (only for entertainment purposes)
- Numerological Values:
Number 7 individuals are analytical and inquisitive. They have a thirst for knowledge and often make great academics, researchers or scientists. They have a strong sense of independence and tend to do things their own way. Number 7 individuals are believed to be self-reliant and may come across as reserved.
- Chakra Number:
- 7: The number of the Crown Chakra "Sahasrara"
Violet is the color of the crown chakra and it is the color of cosmic awareness and cosmic consciousness. It is a unifying color, the color of oneness and spirituality. The energy of this color is very healing and can soothe away pain. Learn more about this powerful spiritual color.
- Color meaning:
The color violet relates to the imagination and spirituality. It stimulates the imagination and inspires high ideals. It is an introspective color, allowing us to get in touch with our deeper thoughts. The difference between violet and purple is that violet appears in the visible light spectrum, or rainbow, whereas purple is simply a mix of red and blue. Violet has the highest vibration in the visible spectrum.
Notable people and personalities
Flora Brovina (born 1949) Kosovar-albanian Pediatrician And Women’s Rights Activist
Flora Chan (born 1970) Hong Kong-american Actress
Flora Cross (born 1993) French-american Actress
Flora Macdonald (1722–1790), Scottsh Jacobite Heroine
Flora Macdonald (born 1926) Canadian Politician
Flora Montgomery (born 1974) Irish Actress
Flora Purim (born 1942) Brazilian Jazz Singer
Flora Robson (1902–1984) English Actress
Flora Stevenson (1839–1905) Scottish Social Reformer
Flora Tristan (1803–1844) French Socialist Writer And Activist
Flora Twort (1893–1985) English Painter